…what? Oh! Hello.
Well, this is a tad awkward. If I’d known you were coming I would have prepared something… but alas there’s nothing interesting here (yet?). Sorry. I guess that’s what you get, wandering around on strange domains you don’t belong on. Y’know. You get disappointment.
You want to know about me? Goodness. Let’s see…
I live in Sydney, Australia, where I moved having grown up in the nearby Blue Mountains.
$WORK at the moment I’m an Engineer at Snowplow Australia. The product is pretty neat, check it out. I wrote this web extension which might be useful if you use it, too. Week-to-week work typically involves:
- building and maintaining data pipelines in Python (not just Snowplow-related)
- a bunch of SQL analysis and DBA-ish stuff (mostly Redshift, BigQuery, and Snowflake, with smatterings of regular PostgreSQL, MySQL, and SQLite. I have also worked with the Oracle and Microsoft solutions, but do not not want to again.)
- front-end Tag Management (usually/preferably with Google Tag Manager) with ECMAScript (and I dabble in some front-end dev with TypeScript, too)
- cloud faff (mostly AWS, but increasingly also GCP)
- some general ops stuff, including a bit of system administration and sometime even IT support around the office (although I managed to get the printer working on everyone’s machine but my own somehow?)
- helping man the support desk and liase with clients
I enjoy solving problems, the more puzzling the better, so like diversity in my roles where I get exposed to lots of moving parts. I am open to opportunities if the problems are interesting enough.
Then at home I like playing with more niche technologies than I get to work with. Right now I’m excited about:
Outside of work I often help organise the Sydney chapters of Data & Analytics Wednesday and MeasureCamp, which are both free and you should come attend!
I like other stuff too (in no particular order): both kinds of games (board and video), music, politics, cooking, gardening, beer, wine, spirits, arguing, cats, combinations of these things.
I care a lot about (in no particular order): equality, education, software freedom, the internet, the web, accessibility, privacy (ironically), perf, Pokémon, family, freedom of expression, mental health, software monocultures.
I would love to learn (in no particular order): beekeeping, drawing, keyboard, sewing, guitar, Scheme, driving, more math, beer brewing, carpentry, automechanics, teaching, electronics.
If you want to reach out and/or chat feel free to email me or hit me up on the socials below (I am not on Facebook/Twitter/etc).